Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Winter Warmth, a Right or a Priviledge or a Choice?

I'm about to rant a little bit. I'm sure that my wife won't make it through this post. She hates this stuff. I just want to put this out there and see what people think about it, for the sake of discussion. I'm going to try to do a light-hearted post in the next couple of days.

During medical school we lived in a two-bedroom apartment with a pool and bunny rabbits frolicking in the court-yard (not to mention the family of opossums and bird-eating snakes). It was situated snugly between a vacant Red-Lion with a giant blue light shining on it all night long, a Holiday-Inn convention center, and a trailer park. My wife worked and I went to school. We lived on loans and food-stamps.

We were determined to save as much money as possible. We turned off our lights when we left a room. We set the thermostat to 80 degrees in the summer and saved quite a bit of electricity. A weird quirk in the way our apartment gas bill was set up made us share in the cost of heating with the other five families in the hall. Pretty soon we realized that if we saved 6 dollars worth of gas we paid 1 dollar less. If we used an extra 6 dollars worth of gas we paid an extra dollar. We essentially had no control over the gas bill, all we could control was whether or not we were at a comfortable temperature. Everyone in the hall figured out the same thing and we all paid out the nose.

In Spokane I had more money and a three-bed-room town home. We lived on what I earned and bought our own food. We still tried to save as much money as possible. Our heaters were electric, not gas-powered. In the summer we didn't run our air-conditioning and in the winter we set our thermostat to 55 degrees and put on another layer of clothing. Our electric bill was consistently 150 dollars less than my buddy-at-work's. He thought we were crazy and I thought he was crazy. We both got what we valued. He got thermal energy. I paid down my credit card. That's the beauty of having the freedom to choose. It's the American Dream.

I'm not a proponent of a completely laissez-faire approach to economics. There needs to be oversight and protection from fraud and predatory business practices. I agree that we need a safety net for people who are truly disabled, people who cannot help themselves. Living in a society can afford us the luxury of softening the blows of life for one another. It also makes sense to help people who are legitimately working to become a more productive member of society that will eventually pay back into the system. It makes sense to have public education for children to learn what they need to be successful. It even makes sense to create a public health care system for kids. I know from first-hand experience with food-stamps that there is plenty of help available for people without enough money for food. As much as possible people who can help themselves should be given every opportunity to do so and, ultimately get what they value.

I had a TA that was from the USSR while I was at the U. I talked to him a lot about his life before he came to the US. The quote that sticks out in my mind is, "We all had a lot of money. There was just never anything to buy with it." You basically got the same amount of money and the same house and the same food whether you worked or not so no one worked and everyone got the same thing, nothing. Actually that's not quite true, the elite in the government managed to get a lot of stuff. Everyone else got nothing.

This current economic crisis is the direct result of government pressure on lending institutions to give high-risk loans to low-income people with bad credit because everyone should have the "American Dream" of home-ownership, even though they have made choices that say that they really value other things, things that may lead to short-term happiness but low-income and bad credit.


When I had a lower income and worse credit I didn't get a home-loan because I thought I had some control over my "gas bill". I thought that I could control my own expenses and that if I waited for the right time I would eventually have a home I could afford without the financial burden or commitment. Apparently I was wrong. I live in a country where we all share the cost of every one's home. At some point, I'm going to pay 20,000 dollars in taxes to cover "my share" of this bail-out. Unfortunately, this is not the lesson our country is learning, at least its not the lesson we are hearing in the media and from our politicians. We are moving toward more socialized government and more sharing of costs. If we carry this through to its ultimate conclusion we will all be limited to move at the pace of the slowest among us with no reward for doing more. I'm not saying there is no place for charitable, merciful giving. I believe that is our responsibility to do this. It is also an ennobling, sanctifying activity. However, even that is limited when all of our money is spent for us. If your money is taken from you and given to someone else without your consent it does nothing to make you a better person, it only takes away another freedom to choose.

Well, that was longer than I thought it would be. I didn't develop everything as well as I would have liked and I may have erred on the side of sounding too hard-core. It's basically a first draft. What do you guys think?

11 comments:

beckee said...

Let's be honest, You are always hard-core. Some might call you a hard A...

I did read the whole thing!

Jacob F said...

I completely agree Wes. Keep writing!

Jake

Natalie said...

BRAVO!!! ENCORE!!!
Yes! Yes! Yes!
This post is a perfect example of why I need your ramblings in my life. You have helped me determine that I am hard core, something I didn't realize until I read this. I'm SO mad about having to pay for others' bad choices when I'm working--HARD--to make good life choices. I can't stand that a gigantic portion of our money goes to cover the government's tail, who didn't give us the help we needed in dental school. If I'm made to be "charitable", it does nothing for my soul. Give me control of my own money, and I'm likely to give away WAY more than I should. It makes me feel good.
Thanks for the opportunity to vent. Now go run for president.

Mickey said...

This is why I always liked to "discuss" with you when we were younger (still would like to, for that matter--I still tell some of our ideas to people)--you have and are a sound thinker. I agree with all that. My additional gripe about this bailout business is that the idiots who made the decisions to give the loans (which I'm convinced they KNEW were bad) are still making millions and millions off of those bad deals, to be paid out in the form of taxpayer money through this bailout. Take the bailout from the CEO's paychecks...they made the decisions, they should pay for them, not us.

Wes said...

In my opinion, if you want the people's money for your company you better have sunk all of your own money into it first. If you want to keep your money then let the tax-payers keep theirs too. Every executive at these companies should leave without a penny to their names and a lot of them should end up in jail.

By-the-way, I like your profile picture.

Anonymous said...

I think that is a very good point about the CEOs. Why don't they have to pay out for their bad mistakes. I don't think it is too late to still do that. I know this is labeled a "bail out," but it is more of a boost for the economy. I think that the crisis will have a huge affect on the economy if money is not put into the financial system. As much as I don't want to pay for other people's bad decisions, I also think I will pay less in the future if something is done now. In addition to those banks that have made very pore decisions, it is also affecting those banks who were very conservative. As the secondary market loses confidence in mortgages they have stopped buying them on the secondary market, even those that are very good loans. This leaves less funds for these banks to lend out and ties up the funds available to loan in every institution. They then can not make loans to businesses which then stops the growth of the economy. which means less jobs and less money for all Americans, I would say every American would loose more than $20,000 over their life time if action is not taken. Where I am still trying to get into a home I guess I am worried about what interest rates will do if banks don't have money to lend. In theory these investments are being purchased for pennies on the dollar. The Government could technically make money on the deal in the end.
What do you think should happen if not the "bail Out?"

beckee said...

I don't have enough inside knowledge to make specific recommendations about what should be done. I'm trying to do some research to form my own opinion. All I can say is that I'm mad that it has come to this. I may decide that something like this is what needed to be done. The thing I'm most upset about is that we were put on this road back when we started pressuring people to loan to sub-prime borrowers. What I can say is that about the entire amount we put in was lost by the stock market today.

Wes said...

By the way, that last post was me. I was logged in as my wife.

Stefanie said...

Did I tell you that this made me mad enough to write both of my Senators and my Congressman (even if it is that idiot Cannon who I had to register as a Republican so I could vote against him in the primaries).

I think you said it best in your comment to Ashley, I am just mad as Hell that it came to this bail out. The same Corporate stupidity that caused the bail out of the 1980's is the same problem that we have today.

I thought we paid taxes so the government would fix that sort of thing. But as we all know the government is in bed with CEOs...

... why does the mistress always get the better presents?

Jacob F said...

Wes - did you see the skit on SNL Saturday?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYyGD--Skcg

Jacob F said...

Never mind - it looks like it's already been pulled from YouTube.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/10/nbc-to-restore.html

This economic crisis is a little like the September 11 attacks, in that the government should have seen the obvious warning signs. (Actually, many in the government probably did, but no one was able to garner the political capital to actually do something about it.)

I remember reading about bin Laden in some Reader's Digest article back in the 1990s, and at the time the article scared me and I wondered if anyone was doing anything to stop him. I also remember hearing various warnings about Fannie & Freddie over the years, including from Alan Greenspan (I don't understand why he's taking so much heat right now; he talked about it several times, but was not the president or a member of congress and so couldn't do anything directly).

It's too bad a crisis has to hit before the government will do anything, and even then it doesn't necessarily do the right thing.