Saturday, October 4, 2008

Open Invitation


I just want to take this opportunity to point out an inconvenient truth. In the 5 1/2 years since I started medical school and have been living away from Utah we have made 2 visits across the country to Maryland and California in cities we had never been to before to see Mickey and Natalie (we don't even have a gps, unless Rochelle counts), 1 to see Eli and Trieste in Montana, 2 to see Tyson and Lindsey in Colorado, and multiple visits back to Utah for various reasons and to visit everyone there. I hate to report it, but aside from visits from G. G. and Great Grandpa, my parents and my little brothers and sisters (not Tyson), no one else has come to visit (Beckee's family has visited extensively, and are more than welcome to visit any time). This is an open invitation for Thanksgiving this year. Tyson at least has an excuse. Eli and Mickey have the least excuse of all, what good is being a dentist if you can't even visit your poor resident cousin in Nebraska? Cody and Bret, you have never been here. All of my cousins are on the hook, Adam, Sarah, Laura, Cassie and the rest of you. We have a queen-sized bed in an extra room as well as two extra toddler beds and a top-bunk. There are two other big living rooms that we could set up for families and kids. The first two families to invite themselves are invited. I have Wednesday through Sunday off the week of Thanksgiving so we could actually visit. We make crispy-skin Turkey....
Love, Wes

14 comments:

Lindsey said...

You should have said something earlier... Ty should be home for Thanksgiving but my parents are coming out. Let us know when you are off and home after that and we would LOVE to come visit!

Mickey said...

Sooooo....lemme see what I can work out at work. Unfortunately I answer to "the man" and can only take off at certain times. When I (finally) have my own practice, it'll definitely be one of the first trips we make. I'll get back to you about Thanksgiving, though. If I come, I'll bring pheasant that I kill. You'll just have to eat carefully so as not to break a tooth on some birdshot. Although, if you do, at least I'm a dentist...

Natalie said...

Ummmm. My schedule is free. Let me ask my husband and get back to you...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Wes. I've enjoyed reading your blog. Very interesting. I'm also interested to see your response to Ashley's question/comment about the bailout. What would be your proposed solution for the economy? I haven't been able to decide exactly where I stand on the issue yet. It is frustrating that the CEOs are just getting off scott-free for their blunders and dishonesty, but how do you pull the U.S. out of its tailspin?

Anonymous said...

So Cody is the low man on the totem pole. He is the only one in his department that works the day after Thanksgiving, hence he can't get it off. we would love to take you up on the offer some other time. Let us know when you have another break.

Andrea Griggs said...

Thanks for the invitation, but I don't think we'll be able to travel to Omaha this year (I'll be 38 weeks). If the offer is still open though, Jeremy and I would still love to bring our family to Nebraska to visit you and your family sometime in 2009. Sorry we can't make it for Thanksgiving. We visited Omaha in 2005, does that count for anything? :) We miss you guys and wish we could visit more often! Thanks for thinking to invite all of us.

Stefanie said...

... I think my coming to Nebraska should count for more that this but whatever.

I know... what if you come here... and Mickey could come here... and Eli could come here... and Tyson could come here...

... are we all on board with this? because I think this is a solid plan. And I miss everyone and can't be in four place at once.

Eli, Trieste, and The Gals said...

Hey Wes--Welcome to the marvelous world of blogging! Any thanks a ton for the awesome invite!! You're right...Eli really has no excuse! I'll have a chat with him. I told Beckee that hopefully you will inspire Eli to create his own blog so he can post all his "dead animal" pictures. If he can't have a man cave, at least he can have his own man blog! By the way, your mullet was fantastic on Beckee's blog!

beckee said...

I would like to add, in case anyone is reading this, that we now will have another futon too...more room for sleepers! COme on Down to "the Heartland" and have some crispy-skinned turkey (this time I will take the giblets out first-I promise!)...

Mickey said...

Welp, I've checked with my boss and with Mapquest. I do have some time off, but with the drive we would have just enough time to drive there, say "hello", turn around and come home. Unfortunately we're gonna have to pass this time. :(
We'll be in UT for Christmas, though...

Robin M. said...

Welcome to the feeling of being in outer Mongolia! When Nolan and I lived in Mississippi, we were there for three years and my parents came once (because I whined a lot...)and I paid for your mom to come visit once. It wasn't that we weren't loved, people just had their own schedules and agendas and we weren't high up on the list of things to do! Between working, babysitting and attending kids school/curricular activities (soccer, art show, choir, orchestra, wedding etc...)I do not have one single day in the week that is my own. I do hope to get out to see you sometime, maybe ride out with your parents on one of their trips, but it will definitely have to wait until next summer. With all that said, I LOVE YOU ALL and have really enjoyed seeing everyone at the times when you have made it out to Utah and I knew about it (that doesn't always happen)!

Eli said...

Your "open invitation" smacks of guilt tripping and cooersion! Unlike others you mention, we shared 3 wonderful years in Omaha together. In fact, as I recall, we actually picked out your first Omaha abode! I think that the Nelsons have a far bigger debt to pay and we'll be out to see you all another time. We have many a restaurant to return to (The Melting Pot, Firebirds, Cheeseburger In Paradise, Wheatfeilds to name a few), the Zoo to visit, Botanical Gardens to walk, Vela's Pumkin Patch to patronize, Creighton Dental (Wipe a Tear of Nostalgia), and of course Wes, my cousin who came close to being my brother, except that we don't have the same parents. Love You WESLEY XOXOXO
Eli

beckee said...

Just wondering if you are going to blog again...

Andrea Griggs said...

I'm glad you could spend Thanksgiving with family in Colorado-I bet Tyson and Lindsey were really glad to have you! Maybe in 2 years we can all come out for Thanksgiving, that would be fun!